Maps you want to see on the servers

Got a new map? Post it here!
Shadow Sheep

Re: Maps you want to see on the servers

Post by Shadow Sheep » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Alright, so bhop_dream2, bhop_fur, bhop_stref_shanghai, bhop_stref_wat and bhop_uncolored have been ported and uploaded to the server. I will do bhop_space some other time. Probably next month.

Because yes, now I am trying something: each month I'll switch between porting bhop maps and poting surf maps. That way I don't get distracted and focus one game mode to the disadvantage of the other one.

So to begin with this month, I am going to pick 3 hotly requested maps, which are surf_juturna, surf_parc_colore and surf_iceworld.

I also updated the surf poll with the latest maps, so keep your request coming: the more requested a map is, the sooner you are likely to get it!
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:37 am

Ported surf_juturna, surf_iceworld and surf_Parc_Colore still need a little bit of testing. The bsp_repack command makes cubemapped textures turn pink and black, so I am going to wait before releasing juturna. Also I am having more and more trouble uploading maps to the test server.

Now, I am plan to port surf_illumination2, surf_goldarn and surf_rands.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Tue May 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Yo everyone! How are you doing? Its been a long time hasn't it? Don't worry I did not forget you, just been a bit busy.

So although I expected an empty April porting wise, I kind of surprised myself efficiency wise.

As I announced it, I ported surf_juturna, surf_Parc_Colore, surf_iceworld, surf_illumination2, surf_goldarn and surf_rands. But then the month wasn't quite over and it has been a long time since new maps were being added to surf sooo...

So I decided to go ahead and port surf_looksmodern, surf_cyka, surf_cubic, surf_epicube_ksf and surf_southpark.

Also I have discussed with tordana on discord, he says that he is okay with getting your favourite map on the server according to the poll: surf_classics2!! He is also okay with having surf_bob and surf_delusion with propper stripper configs applied. We could also maybe have surf_insignia_b1 in, which is a port panzer has made ages ago but everyone forgot about it I guess.

So yeah, if I can count thats like 15 new maps to refresh the map pool a bit, which is ideal considering the fact holidays are coming and people will soon come back to play on the servers.

Now I am going to start the "bhop maps month" ports, and I settle as a short term objective to port bhop_3d (already on the test server if you are curious), bhop_badges, bhop_jumalauta and bhop_pure_beta. If you are not excited at the sight of these names, look them up on youtube, they really are worth the trip!

Anyway, keep being active on the polls, thats the only way I can make sure I port maps you will enjoy. :D
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Sun May 21, 2017 3:52 pm

bhop_3d, bhop_badges, bhop_jumalauta, bhop_pure are done. I also ported bhop_summerland and bhop_legomyego.

Next I plan to port bhop_space. This is the 4th map from Tony Montana that I port that has a player model changer that I couldn't get to work before, but i am going to retry again. If I somehow get it to work, I will then redo/fix bhop_lego_rc1 (which also has missng textures), bhop_lego2 (which also has a bonus resizing being too mean) and bhop_japan (which has some concrete textures not fixed) as they all have model player model changers as well (and lets face it: who doesn't want to be able to play bhop_lego2 as sonic?).

I also said when porting bhop_arcane_v1 in tf2 (my first real map port actually) that if I could get the css grass detail props to work, I would redo it, and I got them to work in the bhop_summerland map, and I don't like the bouncy ice on it. So I would also go ahead and redo that port as well and adjust couple of things (I am actually amazed that I don't have that much to improve on such a massive map which was my first one, I thought I was bad at porting and that I would regret much more things in it).

So yeah as you can see, bhop_space is going to determine how this month will end porting wise.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Yo guys a little update on bhop_space. I am still trying to get the model change working, but the people I ask are telling me it will require a plugin to get the models to animate. So I will hold back on that project until I decide on a solution about it.

Other than that, I ported and released bhop_dipl, bhop_knox, bhop_ihanvitunpaskappi, bhop_fuji, bhop_sandtrap2, bhop_emevaelx3, bhop_alvo2, bhop_treehouse3 and bhop_sQee.

Overall, I didn't have a whole lot of sleep this month, but i think it was worth it. I am pretty happy about the wide diversity of bhop maps that has been ported, and I think that anyone who likes something in bhopping will enjoy at least one of them.

As a transition from the bhop month to the surfing month, I plan to port bhop_fruits2 and surf_fruits2.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:47 pm

I just released bhop_fruits2 and surf_fruits2. I also ported surf_flyin_fortress and surf_duggywuggy. They all should be good to go on the servers.

[insert wall of text basicaly expressing my feelings here]

Its now been a whole year since this forum thread has been made, as well as the poll. This was meant to be a place for people to gather together, and talk porting projects for resurfed, but it turns out I was most like alone to do all of this work, and it has been a lot of effort to go through (also, nothing still has been done to make the poll popular and accessible from the servers, so its still an irrelevant minority of people who get to decide which are the surf maps the most disired- bhop is accessible though).

So I think I am just going to take a break from porting maps for the time being. Good things have to end right? ....Nah I am joking! You thought I would stop like that? I am not giving up! I even have a great plan!

So my interpretation from what is happening is that people aren't feeling motivated enough to port maps. Many have started ports, but many less have finished them even though they were pretty deep into the process. There is also the fact that people probably think that I am really dedicated to porting maps, and so that if their projects have flaws and stuff, I would be angry at them, and since your first ports are likely to have flaws (mines had too), then its better not to get involved into that. My third explanation could be that people eventually get stuck in the process, not knowing what to do to get started, or to get done with a map port.

So the solution I have been thinking about since months was for me to create a porting guide. I would try to make it as easy to understand as possible, and also make it as complete as I can so you would be able to face every single situation that I can remember of in case they happen to you. People would that way be more confident to get involed, less afraid to make mistakes, and hopefully won't have to dare adding me on steam to ask me questions since it seems like it feels pretty intrusive for them to do so, as well as hard to get around at the same timezones. The guide will be both surf+bhop and counter-strike: source+counter-strike: global offenssive oriented, but should hopefully allow you to have enough experience in order to port any map from other games (so not just surf and bhop).

So yeah, if you still follow this topic (don't lie to me: I know that there are a lot of silent readers out here :P ) and want to mention anything (anything) in particular that could fit into my porting guide, please tell me because that would probably help everyone at the end.

Once I will be done with making it, i'll probably port surf_stonework4 because that one looked cool on the video.

PS: If you have any thought about the idea of making a guide, or think that I am wrong about speculating the need of people for a guide in the first place, just post here why before I go ahead and sink in too much time in for nothing (if you know what I mean).
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Turns out that writing a guide takes a lot of effort. But I finished chapter 1! You now should be able to convert a map file to have it playable in Team Fortress 2, but not yet actually editing it using hammer. The rest of the guide will be dedicated to that.

I now resume porting maps, and try to advance the guide by fillng it with the informations I planned to put in it.

My porting schedule being a bit delayed, I plan to port surf maps and bhop maps.

So I will do surf_stonework4 (thank you for letting me porting it, as well as Mr.Cow for providing his map file), surf_forgotten, bhop_dimensions, surf_alend and surf_summer.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:16 am

Boo!

Haha you got scared didn't you? You didn't expect me to post here again right? Wait...halloween is over since now 2 days? Oops, sorry for the jump scare then.

I too didn't expect to post here any time soon considering how long it took me to work on bhop_dimensions and surf_summer. There were still a few Counter-Strike Global Offensive ressources I didn't know how to convert at the time, and guessing how to took some time. But I finally got them figured out and can hopefully move on to other things.

So as you probably noticed, surf_stonework4, surf_forgotten and surf_alend are done and uploaded to the servers since a while now. I just released bhop_dimensions today and surf_summer will stay in _test3 until tioga takes a look at the project to approve it or until I forget what being patient means. I also will publish the Counter-Strike: Source port on my release post.

So next up, to compensate the lack of new maps, I am going to do 3 surf maps and 3 bhop maps to begin with. I also think we need more hard surf maps ported, so unless I change my mind I would like to port a few cool hard surf maps after I am done with these first 6 maps. But what are these maps?

I plan to port bhop_4u, bhop_coast, bhop_stref_amazon, surf_orthodox, surf_noble, surf_lost (each of the easy, intermediate and advanced surf servers will get a nice new sure map this way).

The test server is being reworked on by TheDeathly at the moment, so you will have to test maps on your own for a moment. But soon we should get a tf2 surf test server, a tf2 100Tick bhop one as well as a css surf server.

An a side note, I feel honored to notice that there are other people getting involved in porting maps now. However, I feel like we need to have a little bit more communication between us, for example to avoid having 2 people working on the same map at the same time. So if from now on you guys could post a message on this forum thread to inform everyone else that you are working on a map, it would be great. Who knows, maybe the mapper of the map you are working on would see your message and send you the ressources needed in order for you to do a successful port!

Last thing, keep in mind that the polls do exist, and that they help us knowing which are the maps you desire the most.
muta

Post by muta » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:36 pm

I will update this post whenever I complete one or add another.
Currently working on:
surf_trance
surf_kz_mix_journeys
surf_japan_ptad
surf_ghost_busters

see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Last edited by muta on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:54 am

Hey!

Surf_orthodox and surf_noble are done and uploaded.

Surf_lost, bhop_4U, bhop_coast and bhop_stref_amazon are ready too, please tell me if the boost pads are still acting weird and we will see what can be done about it.

I plan to port surf_amarro, surf_brutalist, surf_eon, surf_goliath, surf_hades, surf_mrdrn, surf_technique and surf_trapped.