Degenerate surfaces - is it possible to avoid them?

Got a question or a tutorial?
SSStormy

Degenerate surfaces - is it possible to avoid them?

Post by SSStormy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:37 pm

Hi,
Recently I've been working on a surf map and I've encountered a problem: degenerate faces. After some research I discovered that most people say they have an impact on the performance, and their base has two points but the top has 1, which means that all my ramps are degenerate faces. I tried to remove my ramps and compile and the result was 0 degenerate faces. My ramps are func_detail and made with the help this: http://source.gamebanana.com/tuts/10863 tutorial.

A Pastebin of my build log only running vbsp.exe and vrad.exe : http://pastebin.com/Wgnc468F

My question: is it possible to avoid degenerate faces in surf maps?
-[Beginner] ɩɛɠɛɳɗɑʀʮƁƷɑϛɬ: Skill = failing professionally
streebree

Re: Degenerate surfaces - is it possible to avoid them?

Post by streebree » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Try changing the textures on your ramps to a dev texture or something. Apparently this error has to do with transparent textures.
elfman______________

Post by elfman______________ » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:08 pm

i checked my map and it only had one degenerate face and it isnt a ramp. you must be doing something bad that hammer doesnt like thats causing degenerate faces
I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N
Nastybutler

Post by Nastybutler » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:33 pm

Degenerate faces has to do with improper transparency in the .vmf of a texture. There isn't really anything bad about it, so it can be safely ignored for the time being. It doesn't add any adverse effects to your map.

Nobody really knows what causes it exactly, so there really isn't a proper fix for it.
[Owner] -DB!- tordana: meet me in the playground after school
SSStormy

Post by SSStormy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:42 am

I haven't managed to get rid of them but still thank you all for the replies.
-[Beginner] ɩɛɠɛɳɗɑʀʮƁƷɑϛɬ: Skill = failing professionally