Vrad.exe crashes on visleafs without explanation.

Got a question or a tutorial?
SSStormy

Vrad.exe crashes on visleafs without explanation.

Post by SSStormy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:44 am

Hi there,
I ran into an issue when finishing up my map: VRAD.exe just decides to crash when making visleafs. This happens even if I compile with no lights. I have no idea what can be causing this problem. My ramps and other small things are func_detail, I have hint + skip brushes set up.

Fast Compile log without custom lights.rad: http://pastebin.com/pSx3URsh

I'm concerned about the fact that VVIS.exe finishes in less then a second.

As you are reading this I'm probably breaking my map with cordon tools to find the culprit.

Thanks in advance.
-[Beginner] ɩɛɠɛɳɗɑʀʮƁƷɑϛɬ: Skill = failing professionally
Smileytopin

Re: Vrad.exe crashes on visleafs without explanation.

Post by Smileytopin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:24 am

I had this problem before, but forgot exactly what it was,

I checked your compile log and found one error,

http://gyazo.com/3da523e2a3279887595b763470229503. I'm guessing maybe you have too many sides? Try simplifying your brushes?
I'm not quite sure what it is.
streebree

Post by streebree » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Maybe try the normal fixes for most crashes. Click edit, select all, open up your textures and change the texture light scale to 64. Is your map pretty big?
SSStormy

Post by SSStormy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Smileytopin wrote:I had this problem before, but forgot exactly what it was,

I checked your compile log and found one error,

http://gyazo.com/3da523e2a3279887595b763470229503. I'm guessing maybe you have too many sides? Try simplifying your brushes?
I'm not quite sure what it is.
I did get rid of that and it successfully compiled, but when I launched the map in game in did not load and the console said "Host_EndGame: Map coordinate extents are too large!! Check for errors!". All my world brushes are on grid and the console and the compiler weren't showing any errors.
streebree wrote:Maybe try the normal fixes for most crashes. Click edit, select all, open up your textures and change the texture light scale to 64. Is your map pretty big?
I̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶. Scratch that, I compiled the wrong version of the map. But this method compiled my map but I still got the map coordinate error. A puush image of my map: http://puu.sh/abgOq/1ef9510025.png .
streebree

Post by streebree » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Yeah that's about the size when light scale makes things crash for me. Looks like a sexy map btw.
Smileytopin

Post by Smileytopin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:37 pm

I have an idea
Your teleport is too big. The trigger texture will only handle brushes of a certain size, and your teleoprt entity is too large for the map. Try making your teleport into several smaller ones (maybe half it or make it into 3 teleports).

I remember Egan telling me that, and it fixed it on mine. I remembered :P

Teleport brushes too big.
SSStormy

Post by SSStormy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:03 pm

Smileytopin wrote:I have an idea
Your teleport is too big. The trigger texture will only handle brushes of a certain size, and your teleoprt entity is too large for the map. Try making your teleport into several smaller ones (maybe half it or make it into 3 teleports).

I remember Egan telling me that, and it fixed it on mine. I remembered :P

Teleport brushes too big.
I've been doing this since I started development on this map c:. Thanks for the reply though.
Nastybutler

Post by Nastybutler » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:24 pm

You guys done? My turn.

You used fast to compile your map. That's why it's not working right. Instead, use Full to compile...even for testing.

Reason being, is when you select fast, it only applies to VVIS. If VVIS doesn't get enough time to render visleafs, VRAD won't have anything to build off of...which is exactly the reason why VRAD crashed when you compiled your map.
[Owner] -DB!- tordana: meet me in the playground after school
SSStormy

Post by SSStormy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:26 am

Nastybutler wrote:You guys done? My turn.

You used fast to compile your map. That's why it's not working right. Instead, use Full to compile...even for testing.

Reason being, is when you select fast, it only applies to VVIS. If VVIS doesn't get enough time to render visleafs, VRAD won't have anything to build off of...which is exactly the reason why VRAD crashed when you compiled your map.
I tried compiling in normal or full in VBCT and it still crashed. But I have fixed the problem thanks to Streebree
streebree wrote:Maybe try the normal fixes for most crashes. Click edit, select all, open up your textures and change the texture light scale to 64. Is your map pretty big?

I have also fixed the "Host_EndGame: Map coordinate extents are too large!! Check for errors!" issue. It was the end of my map: http://puu.sh/acdrD/f378deb8c8.PNG . The red part had to be removed or else the map would not load. This doesn't make any sense but it works.

Thanks for all the help.

http://puu.sh/acdrD/f378deb8c8.PNG