MAX_MAP_BRUSHSIDES error

Got a question or a tutorial?
ziddia

MAX_MAP_BRUSHSIDES error

Post by ziddia » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:12 am

Hi,

I have found this error in two of the maps I was looking at to potentially port (surf_timewarp and surf_exile). The error stops the compile in the first step and states that the map exceeds the maximum number of brushsides.

However, I don't see how this is possible since it was compiled for CSS before and presumably did not exceed this limit then? I did not add any brushes so the number of brushsides should be the same as in the original map! Unless decompiling changed that!
asscmalt

Re: MAX_MAP_BRUSHSIDES error

Post by asscmalt » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:49 am

Its possible tf has a lower limit than css. Also decompiled maps aren't exact, they tend to use more brushes than the original.
elfman______________

Post by elfman______________ » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:39 pm

use propper to turn things into props, turn things into displacements, delete unnecessary parts of the map (like the intro/ elevator section of timewarp)
I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N I T W H E N
Nastybutler

Post by Nastybutler » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 am

Both CSS and TF2 have the same limit as far as brushsides go, but as Elfman said...you'll have to start learning how to use propper because decompiling maps completely screws them up, making porting maps harder than it seems.

Start turning things into models there son...you've got way too many brushes in the map for it to compile correctly. Tophattwaffle probably has the best tutorial as far as setting propper up and learning how to use it.
[Owner] -DB!- tordana: meet me in the playground after school