Resizing opinion thread

Got a question or a tutorial?
not_a_zombie

Resizing opinion thread

Post by not_a_zombie » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:03 pm

Alright, the issue of how to resize things has been public for months but there's still no consensus. As the map I'm working on porting has some tight areas, I need opinions on how exactly to resize:

Option 1) Resize for crouched tf2, making uncrouched surfing harder or impossible

Option 2) Resize for uncrouched tf2, making crouched surfing easier than intended

If you don't feel like making a post, at least just answer this strawpoll: http://strawpoll.me/6975202
ziddia

Re: Resizing opinion thread

Post by ziddia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:29 pm

My opinion: resize for width and then see how it feels. Resize just parts that feel clunky compared to CSS, no need to resize every gap in the map (and no need to be 100% perfect either, it just needs to feel good).

If something feels clunky uncrouched but fine crouched, its probably a good idea to resize it. But if something feels fine unresized then why bother?
asscmalt

Post by asscmalt » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:16 pm

I agree with ziddia. It's more important for maps to not feel awkward in tf than it is to attempt to perfectly maintain the css difficulty.
Gash3d

Post by Gash3d » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:08 am

Something I've been looking for for years. There's also a new entity in hammer that'll allow mappers to adjust player attributes. Egan and I have been playing with that to try to get player models down to CS:S sizes as well if the plugin doesn't work. -NastyButler
Instead of it being a plugin it'l be in the map which would be a pretty cool feature. It allows scaling which if done right can be very useful.

Heres a vid of egan fucking with the sizes.

If this gets implemented this will be a huge game changer.
8-) +1 8-)
Humps

Post by Humps » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:23 pm

I feel like there are only a few areas where resizing in a map really even matters. Most notably, tight turns (stonework3) and spins. As for tight gaps, just remember that CSS players can make their models even shorter by crouching, where tf2 models can only be as short as standing CS. Tiers are a spectrum, there isn't an exact resize ration for windows, spins, and corners to make an exact tf2:CS port (i kinda wish there was). Ultimately, it is up to the discretion of the testers during porting. Unfortunately, it does seem to be quite a bit of guesswork, so thanks to everyone that works hard on ports and those that take the time to test maps. :D