When compiling a map using water, the water should look something like this:
Thats how God Damnit Nappa originaly compiled his map until I litteraly destroyed it in the _njv like this:
The reason we have this version on the server is that I asked Nappa to compile the map himself so I could upload the good water one. So he sent it to me and I managed to upload the wrong one to the forum (and it was "too late" when I noticed it).
Anyway, back to my problem. I had a few ideas as to where it could come from.
- I forgot to pack in the map some specific texture files that should make the water look nicer?
That was my first guess. Each time you would think "Yeah, I got pakrat good this time" you get bad surprises. but it turns out that this problem also occurs on stock hl2/tf2 water textures, which everyone should have the texture of it. So its not that.
- I did configure the water_lod_control entity wrong?
That would be really weird: I never ever touch it when manipulating maps in hammer. Plus I tried setting it as high as possible and the water still looks opaque at close range like in the pitcure.
- I am using vbct to compile my map instead of the built in Hammer compiler (like God Damnit Nappa does)?
That wouldn't cause the issue right? its litteraly using the same .exe files at the same folder locations to compile the maps. The way water is being procedeed shouldn't be different. And I went ahead to try and it indeed still looks slimy after a hammer compilation.
- I am always compiling maps in Final vrad instead of full?
The issue also occurs on a Fast compile and full, so I think that its completly unrelated to that too.
- I am compiling the wrong map file?
Wrong. I litteraly gave God Damnit Nappa my map file for him to compile. No edition was made but we both had different water.
- There is a leak in the map?
Nope. No pointfile is being generated when I am compiling any of the maps I have.
- I am using the wrong dx_level?
I use 95 and from what I read, this is the highest it can get. 90 should be enough to render good water. Plus The two screenshots you saw were taking just by switching maps, not by touching any weird game settings.
- Is my water following the requirements in order to display expensive water?
Yes. You can't see it on the previous screenshots because there are multi-leveled water surfaces renderes at once, but even when it does it still doesn't look fully transparent.
- I didn't build the cubemaps?
Its just an overlayed pre-computed reflection texture put on the water's surface. It has nothing to do with the way the core water behaves.
- Is my water brush being crossed by a func_viscluster brush? (basicaly makes vvis say that there is no water surface between the air and the water volume).
No. I used to have that on bhop_arcane_v1 and the water looked more like a Hall of Mirrors effect than just cheap water.
- I have a vertical surface of water applied to the brush?
Nope. Not in most cases at least. It doesn't break anything doing that anyway as far as I can tell (look at jump_toxic_v6).
Can you help me?