Tresis

Re: Map crashes TF2

Post by Tresis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:05 am

Evil MrMuffinz wrote:
Tresis wrote:
Evil MrMuffinz wrote:nerd topic talking about nerd stuff
just cuz u dum
SHUTUP NERD
Please refrain from using colloquial simpleton words as they do not affect me, take your outlandish behavior somewhere else.

On topic, I've never had this problem ever?
Tresis

Post by Tresis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:00 am

Just went through the map, it's really cool I can't wait to play it!

I also crashed when I noclipped out. :/
TeMP

Post by TeMP » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:13 pm

I removed the displacements and trees and it is still crashing. The only error in console when I load the map is
env_cubemap used on world geometry without rebuilding map. . ignoring: tile/tilefloor011a
env_cubemap used on world geometry without rebuilding map. . ignoring: metal/citadel_tilefloor016a
env_cubemap used on world geometry without rebuilding map. . ignoring: glass/glasswindow002a

Could this be causing it? if not I am out of ideas.

EDIT: I don't know if this matters, but I do not crash from my map, it is only other people.
10:45 PM - redc: i am no where near temp in anything
Nastybutler

Post by Nastybutler » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:52 am

TeMP wrote:I removed the displacements and trees and it is still crashing. The only error in console when I load the map is
env_cubemap used on world geometry without rebuilding map. . ignoring: tile/tilefloor011a
env_cubemap used on world geometry without rebuilding map. . ignoring: metal/citadel_tilefloor016a
env_cubemap used on world geometry without rebuilding map. . ignoring: glass/glasswindow002a

Could this be causing it? if not I am out of ideas.

EDIT: I don't know if this matters, but I do not crash from my map, it is only other people.
well, looking at your compile log, it doesn't really have any major errors in it...the zero area child patch means that one or more of your brushes in your map has an unusual shape that hammer can't identify...but that can safely be ignored.

And the env_cubemap used on world geometry error means that you have a cubemap near a reflective surface, but you didn't build cubemaps in your map. The only problem that'll cause is pink checkboards showing up for other people where reflection is supposed to be. I wrote in my guide on how to build cubemaps....if you're too lazy to check it out, this is how it's done:

start tf2. At main menu, open console and type:

mat_specular 0 :: This will turn off any reflections in a map (because you don't want the pink checkerboard to bake onto the reflections when you build cubemaps).
map <load your map> :: obvious
buildcubemaps :: This will take the texture of your skybox and make reflections out of it on reflective surfaces
disconnect :: If you enable mat_specular 1 while a map is loaded, you'll crash tf2.
mat_specular 1 :: This will turn texture reflections back on
map <load a different map> :: You have to load a different map to clear the texture cache saved on your current session
map <load your map> :: Re-load your map again for the texture cache to reset on your map and finalize your reflections

voila. Shiny shit. That'll cease the errors showing up on your console.
[Owner] -DB!- tordana: meet me in the playground after school
TeMP

Post by TeMP » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Ill try that later, anyways, thanks to rems, I have narrowed down an area where the crash is happening. What I am doing now, is changing things I think could be the cause of it, compiling it, and sending it to rems to test. Once again thanks to rems for helping, I have sent him probably 10 different maps for him to test.
Last edited by TeMP on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeMP

Post by TeMP » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:59 pm

So apparently the cause of the crashing was the trails I put in. Kinda sucks that I have to remove them, but I might have set them up wrong.
Tresis

Post by Tresis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:44 pm

TeMP wrote:So apparently the cause of the crashing was the trails I put in. Kinda sucks that I have to remove them, but I might have set them up wrong.
That's pretty funny, sorry, but yeah.
Nastybutler

Post by Nastybutler » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:35 am

TeMP wrote:So apparently the cause of the crashing was the trails I put in. Kinda sucks that I have to remove them, but I might have set them up wrong.

lol. I even gave you a prefab already set up to use.
[Owner] -DB!- tordana: meet me in the playground after school