Thoughts on adding a Map Tester Position

General ReSurfed talk goes here!
TheDeathly

Thoughts on adding a Map Tester Position

Post by TheDeathly » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:22 pm

I have been thinking about adding a "Map Tester" position so to speak so new maps have to get approved by X amount of testers before it can be uploaded to the servers. With the test server available it should be pretty easy to have members test and give feedback on each map. Would this be of interest to people? And to map makers / porters would this be beneficial to you?

The position would be pretty open to join with only some loose requirements like being adept.
nevier

Re: Thoughts on adding a Map Tester Position

Post by nevier » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:44 pm

i volunteer
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Hey!

Even though its a pretty interesting idea, I don't know if that would be necessary. I usually have Rez and Flamboyant around to test the surf maps I port (as well as many other) and Unskilled for the bhop maps I do.

Testing a map consists in evaluating 3 aspects of it:
  • How the level in the map plays, which should be evaluated by very experienced players who will be able to tell what is too awkward or needs resizing, but also what in the map looks wrong compared to the original map file.
  • How compatible the map is with a multiplayer timed environement, which should be evaluated by the people who are used to set up maps or are involved in the map balancing on the server. Prophopping, cboost exploits, inconsistent slanted bhops or even badly placed teleport locations are classic flaws that fit in this category.
  • How the map is litteraly built, which should be evaluated by experienced hammer mappers. Classic flaws are miss-aligned texture, textures inside ramps not nodrawn, huge parts of the map unnesserally rendered, missing packet content or even broken features.
The flaw I find with your request is that too few of the experienced players, admins or mappers is active enough on the forums to see this thread, and so to show that they are willing to help (which is okay for me anyway because, like I said, most of them are continuously helping me regardless and I can't thank enough for their dedication).

I have an other idea though. Instead of having a list of testers who will have to test the maps as they get published (they could get bored and stop being reliable at any point in time, and then its a mess to work around them not being here), we could create a public and up to date list of maps that currently require people to test it. The people who then want to test the maps can go there and pick the ones they want to test. Maybe have a way for them to leave feedback on the map too so the mapper can check them on later, like you have for the "bug report" feature (probably should use the forum for that in theory, but again 0.5% of the players on the server have a forum account and 5% of them are being active on it).

I also think that the test server should be made accessible to a wider audience on the servers. I regularly have people asking me about how they can test maps offline, and I say they don't have to, they can use the test server. But I am sure a lot of other people won't have that luck of having me talking about it, plus anyone who really want to help this community getting the best quality maps to play should at least have a chance to go to the testserver, even if its just to say that the map is too hard for them.

Your idea is great though Deathly, I really do apreciate your initiative. But to me before making a "tester list", you should find a way to make this thread more visible to the people who will possibly be helpful, and even reveal the "secret" of the test server to the audience that play on the servers so they know about it.
TheDeathly

Post by TheDeathly » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:13 pm

Yeah i mean the idea is just a rough general idea, I wasn't set on anything being one way or another. Just a way for a map to get more reliable feedback so that we aren't on _fix4 on a map that should have only been _fix, not taking a stab at you or anything.

I do agree that to truly test the map as a map it would need very experienced players to run through the map and such but it could also just be simple things like models missing, misaligned, those kinds of things. Just to sort of bump the quality of the maps released up a little bit.

This would also help the community get involved more involved with ReSurfed to make it feel like they can do something to improve it.