Resurfed Prized Event #1: Mapping

General ReSurfed talk goes here!
Shadow Sheep

Resurfed Prized Event #1: Mapping

Post by Shadow Sheep » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Hey everyone.

Next month will be a month were you can express your mapping creative ideas and hopefully surprise us with your hidden talents! Each participant should submit one surfing stage. They will be evaluated by the judging team and the winners will get a prize!

The theme for this contest is hope.

The theme is very open on purpose in order to allow a lot of freedom for the people who want to enter the contest. If the stages submitted are nice enough, I will create a collab map called surf_hope, which will be most likely showcased at Tip of The Hats 2017 charity stream. If I have to perform any modification to your stage in order to make it fit in the global map, I will personnaly contact you to discuss.

Evaluation:
  • Gameplay (50%): How fun your stage feels to surf.
  • Aesthetics (50%): How beatiful your stage looks like.

Rules:
  • Event starts at 00:00:00 CEST on Friday 30th June and ends at 23:59:59 CEST on Monday 31st July. Make sure you submit in this forum thread or on the #mapping-corner section of the discord your map file before the end of the event.
  • You must start from an empty hammer project.
  • Don't copy things from other map projects that have been started before Friday 30th June 2017 CEST. That includes, but is not limited to: ramps (hammer brush and models) and detailing props (brush based). Custom textures, sounds, particles from existing projects are okay to use. Stock models from source games as well as models available online that don't come from maps are okay to use as long as they are not surf ramps.
  • No skybox texture restriction, no eye exposure restriction, not water Level Of Detail restriction, no light_environnement restriction. You are free to come with anything you want.
  • You can do a collaboration work between several other people in order to submit your stage, as long as you only submit one stage together.
Event Staff: Shadow Sheep, 5am, again - should you have any question.

Prizes:
  1. Hellish Inferno Taunt: Mannrobics | A copy of Player Unknown's Battlegrounds | & 50$
  2. Infermal Smoke Taunt: The High Five! | A copy of Player Unknown's Battlegrounds | & 25$
  3. A copy of Player Unknown's Battlegrounds | & $25
I will be here the whole event to help the newcomers with mapping questions, and also try to playtest things if you want me to give you feedback on how to improve your level as much as I can.

Good luck everyone, and don't forget: Don't Give Up on Your Dream, Keep on Sleeping!
Last edited by Shadow Sheep on Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
5am, again

Re: Resurfed Prized Event #1: Mapping

Post by 5am, again » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Feel free to PM me on forums, steam or on discord. Shadow is in control of this event so most burning questions should be directed to him. I will be working on this and some other juicy things we have planned. Stay tuned!

Good luck all.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:30 am

Edited the "Don't copy things from other maps." rule to better reflect what is expected. Models are a bit of a gray area, if you have any doubt about if using a model you have not made for the event is okay, feel free to ask us and we will decide.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:00 pm

Go! The event is live!

A couple questions I have been asked on the discord was is there is a limit to the number of landmarks teleports you can place (triggers teleporting you to a location relatively to something else without changing where you aim).There is no limit, you can have as many as you want.

The other question was how big can the stage you submit be. The answer is as big as the hammer grid is(if its bigger you will get an error when opening it in-game anyway). The collaboration map idea is only a project, but don't necessarily rely on that when making your level since it depends on the entries we get in the first place.

Last thing, feel free to ask me for any kind of help (mapping tips, playtesting, etc). I am not part of the judging team for this event, so there is no harm! :)

Good luck everyone, and please do have a lot of fun! Don't forget to host your map and give us access to it (you can use https://www.sendspace.com/ for example)
Nastybutler

Post by Nastybutler » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Meh. Maybe.
[Owner] -DB!- tordana: meet me in the playground after school
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Participants have 15 remaining days to submit their level.

You can check the porting guide in the mapper help/tutorial section of this forum if you need help with compiling, playtesting or packing your level.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:03 am

Participants have 4 remaining days to submit their surf levels.

Any level submitted after 23:59:59 CEST on Monday 31st July will not be accepted.

It is okay to submit different versions of your level at different states of progress, and it garantees you that the judging team will at least have something to look at. Only the version you specify you want them to look at will be considered though (last version will be used by default if none is specified).
masog

Post by masog » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:07 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ZdAW ... BVSVE/view

Ended up being lazy and not detailing the stage at all but here it is. I hope we have some good stages for a collab, if not I will probably make a few more stages and make a map out of it.
@edit: If collab idea ends up passing through, please contact me beforehand, because I would like to see the other stages to.. you know.. see if they are well made and stuff. I wouldn't like my stage to end up in a map with awful stages if it makes sense :D I'm kinda attached to it now and wouldn't like it to go to waste.
biji

Post by biji » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:51 pm

hello, here is my entry for this event: https://www.sendspace.com/file/tnc0oj (you have to hope you will reach the next ramp lol)
BlueRaven

Post by BlueRaven » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:14 pm

Here's my entry!

The idea is that you're escaping from a lava factory or something I don't know