Suggestions...or something I guess

Got a suggestion?
pizzabooty

Re: Suggestions...or something I guess

Post by pizzabooty » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Shadow Sheep wrote:45. Allow slower classes to be played on the surf servers
Soldier, demoman and heavy really have a nice character design and adding them to the server could add some colors to the game and also some... challenge ! I have always wondered if I could complete surf_sinister as heavy and think that could do a fun race theme (if 13. gets implemented) of for contests (if 41.d. gets implemented).
I definitely second this, I have some pretty sweet hats that have trails on demo and soldier that I'd like to wear
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:27 pm

Yeah, I would like to see this happen too since its (I think) very easy to implement to the servers.

I think (but I am not sure) that they assumed that puttin soldier, demoman or heavy meant that a new category had to be added to the timer, but really it is not necessary since its mainly just for fun.

The oter excuse would be that some misc cannot be hidden with the current !hide plugin we are using, which seriously isn't a big deal at all since I don't think everyone on the server will surf as soldier all the sudden.

The last excuse I can think of is this one:
tordana wrote:45. I can consider adding them for advanced servers. They are not going to be added to beginner servers, because newbies are stupid and will try to surf as heavy and then wonder why they can't beat the map.
Fun fact, I quoted that a few times on the easy server.I think that thanks to tordana, I have became a humorist. Sarcasm aside, i think that everyone is well aware that heavy is the slowest class in tf2 unless they just installed the game. So even if we admit that someone beginner surfs as heavy, none of the maps on the beginner server will be sensibly harder if you are 70 u/s slower than with pyro, its only on more exigent maps that this matters really. The reason for that is because the speed you have on ramps is due to the gravity and the way you land on ramps, meaning that your walking speed is so small compared to your (x y z) momentum that it does not matter at chich speed you started. Also, from what I spectated on the easy server, a bad habit beginners have is to jump above first ramp, then to press s to stop above it, which means that no matter the walking speed you are at, it does not make a difference in this case. When airstrafing, you keep less speed as heavy, but again this isn't even noticeable on easier maps (I used to hold the wr of utopia as soldier when soldier was available on Resurfed).

Last thing, Epi told me he can create a chat message pop up to tell the person who picked a different class that it is a slower one and that it can make surfing harder, meaning that the player will be fully aware of what he is doing.

So yeah, all of that to thank you for pointing that idea out since I think most of the decisions-taker have forgotten about it and that I think it would be a pretty cool feature. I also updated the forst post with your suggestion on the other topic about adding an server running exclusively easier maps. Feel free to tell me if there is a way to explain better what you wanted to suggest and I will do my best to edit it accordingly.
pizzabooty

Post by pizzabooty » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:14 am

is it not possible to modify them somehow to all be the same speed? i've seen surf servers that run every class.
i suppose those classes just go regular speed, but i surfed as demo and soldier and didn't really notice a difference.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:13 pm

Thanks to JoinedSense, you can now type /hop in chat with it working properly.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:00 pm

I thought that this list needed an update even though not much regarding it has changed yet. I added spoilers too since I guess now thats a thing.

The !voteextend not validating when enough player leave to validate the vote now occurs again, but intermediate servers are now a thing!

I also want to remind people that you can discuss here any of the suggestion made and that any new suggestion will be added to the list with propper credits.
TheDeathly

Post by TheDeathly » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:54 pm

Because I'm bored and never actually read this post, I'm going to cross some things off the "To-Do List" that just won't happen or give my feedback on it.

#2. Probably never gonna happen
#8. Impossible to do now, because of the amount of baked in triggers. It only works with triggers drawn by the timer.
#9. Huge undertaking that malt will likely never get to.
#11. Bannable offence.
#12. More categories would require a timer overhaul.
#13. I thought about it at one point, but would need the time / understanding of the timer to do so.
#15. This isn't really added, as changing the map tier doesn't recalculate points as far as I know. It's a set in stone kind of thing.
#16. Already done
#17. surf_christmas is on there. Teslar is located here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1720 but I wasn't quite happy with it in its current state. No idea if frosty plans to fix it.
#19. Did this on many of the annoying maps
#22. Those numbers are pretty irrelevant since they are made up numbers. It's just RNG at that point.
#24. I want this my self.
#29. Not really easy to implement, it would need to be stored in the database somewhere, etc etc.
#30. Wat.
#32. Sorta possible. I would need to make a hybrid afk-manager-ve-rtv thing.
#34. Nope.
#41. We have no control over this. This is AI's department, and generally if it doesn't add value to jumping it doesn't get added. Be grateful for what we have.
#46. I made a post with an editor that gets relatively close to how it looks, but nobody really used it.
#49.a. Sort of done. I'm not really happy with the plugin and haven't touched it in a while.
#49.b. Hell no.
#51.a. This is a stock plugin that handles map rotations. I would have to remake it, and query the db for each map tier. Kinda a pain in the arse.
#52.b. Same thing.