"New" ranks

Got a suggestion?
nevier

"New" ranks

Post by nevier » Mon May 16, 2016 5:50 pm

hey,

i just want to make a small suggestion that, imo, is pretty important.
i'm not gonna mess with the points you need to reach a rank because thats a different topic.
let me just put on every rank here with my personal oppinion if it is fitting for the ammount of points you need.

1. New (well... nothing to argue)
2. Beginner (alright as well)
3. Rookie (fine)
4. Amateur (fine)
5. Competent (fine as well)
6. Skilled
alright here we go. imo a skilled surfer knows how to at least finish t3-t4 maps though most of the skilled-rank players tend to be absolutely cancer in chat because they are proud to have that rank. still he can, at most, make a 5 min time on rookie. this is not skilled to me. i would replace it with something like "experienced"
7. Adept
oh man. i still remember the day when i had the colored rank next to my name for the first time. i was so proud. still, i didnt complete a single t4 and had massive trouble with t3's. i dont think the rank adept should exist in here in general. i just dont find it fitting. so what i would do is, to raise the point distance you need to get from "experienced" to veteran. this would lead me to my next point:
8. Veteran
the veteran. i had the biggest e-balls when i received this rank. "im a fucking VETERAN guys look at me im so good at surfing". still i didnt complete a single t4 and still had trouble with all of the t3's.
a VETERAN for me is a very special rank. because lets say it is my first or second day trying out surfing and i see someone who has the veteran rank i'd think that he has been surfing for ages and he is a really surfer as well. but most of the veterans still have no idea what they are doing.
I would, again, raise the point distance you need to a LOT so that you finally become a veteran. if this was my server i would actually put this rank to the top50 ranks. (i think ksf has this. not sure.)

9. Expert (fine. but not after veteran. an expert to me is an expert in surfing. most of the expert-ranked are starting to become really good so i have very little to argue about)
10. Master (fine. im master-ranked myself and it fits well. every master knows how to surf and how to get good times. they try to complete t6's and t5's. you might think "hey why are you not argueing about that as well it totally says you must be fucking MASTER at surfing" yeah i thought that at first but look at the ranks AFTER master. they are waaay more significant)
11. Elite
i would replace ascended with elite. because imo as an ascended you hit top100 and you "slowly" make your way to the top ranks. an elite-ranked player to me is one of the best the server has to offer.
12. Hero (i personally think this rank is bullshit. a hero of what? i would remove this rank and raise the point distance from ascended to elite.
13. Ascended
14. Legend (fine)
15. Prophet (very fine)
16. God (hail rez)

if you havent noticed by now: this post is completely based on MY opinion. you do NOT have to agree with me. i just wanted to make this suggestion since i think ranks are a big part of the surfer community. they tell other players how good you are and how many maps you have completed.

cheers guys :)
Insomnia

Re: "New" ranks

Post by Insomnia » Mon May 16, 2016 6:08 pm

I like this thinking, and I think the ranking system could use a big overhaul. I'm going to talk to Deathly and see if he'll let me rearrange the whole ranking system so we have a new, updated, crisp and clean way of making sure your rank reflects your amount of points and your skill level.
Contact me - Steam
Farron.

Post by Farron. » Mon May 16, 2016 6:50 pm

hey! It took a lot of effort to get my Master and then you nerds changed the ranks. Now I finally get Hero and you want to change it again?! Nuh uh, I'm not having any of that.
What's a signature?
nevier

Post by nevier » Mon May 16, 2016 7:04 pm

Farron. wrote:hey! It took a lot of effort to get my Master and then you nerds changed the ranks. Now I finally get Hero and you want to change it again?! Nuh uh, I'm not having any of that.
my point is to make the higher ranks appear more special. so maybe your hero rank will transform into sth even cooler.
BlueRaven

Post by BlueRaven » Tue May 17, 2016 12:10 pm

I like this idea, I always thought the ranks were in a bit of a weird order.
FlamboyantFaustino

Post by FlamboyantFaustino » Wed May 18, 2016 3:27 pm

+1

Always thought some of the titles were a little misleading. "Expert" sounds more skilled than "Hero", "Elite" sounds more skilled than "Ascended" and so on......
if this was my server i would actually put this rank to the top50 ranks. (i think ksf has this. not sure.)
You're right, KSF's Veteran rank is 25 and under, with the exception of Master, which is top10 overall, from what I remember.
12. Hero (i personally think this rank is bullshit. a hero of what? i would remove this rank and raise the point distance from ascended to elite.
If I'm reading this right, I dont think having players rank 99 through rank 15 one rank is a great idea......There's a huge skill difference between people who are ranked high 90s and people who are ranked high 10s. I'd suggest maybe even splitting it up into more ranks, as they skill differences even in higher-tier surfers are definitely noticeable. Correct me if that's not what you meant to say.
nevier

Post by nevier » Wed May 18, 2016 8:01 pm

If I'm reading this right, I dont think having players rank 99 through rank 15 one rank is a great idea......There's a huge skill difference between people who are ranked high 90s and people who are ranked high 10s. I'd suggest maybe even splitting it up into more ranks, as they skill differences even in higher-tier surfers are definitely noticeable. Correct me if that's not what you meant to say.
what about actually having the RANK as a rank as soon as you hit the top 99's
example:

Ranked 99: player x
Ranked 98: player y

or something like:

R99 Elite: player x
R98 Elite: player y

another idea would be to make the ranks based on the map completions and top times?
FlamboyantFaustino

Post by FlamboyantFaustino » Wed May 18, 2016 9:49 pm

what about actually having the RANK as a rank as soon as you hit the top 99's

Do you mean having that as their tag instead of "Elite" or "Hero" or having that in addition to the tag?
I feel that in addition to the tag "Ranked 98 Elite: Playername" or "R98 Elite: Playername" would clutter the chat a bit.
Even with that, we'd still have to figure out what colors change at what rank, like Bright yellow for rank 50-99 and pink for ranks 15-49, which still puts the ranks in a group.

another idea would be to make the ranks based on the map completions and top times?
There's !stc and !toptops for those, It'd probably be easiest to leave the ranks in terms of total points, otherwise the entire piont/rank database would have to be reconfigured (from my understanding).
Insomnia

Post by Insomnia » Wed May 18, 2016 11:12 pm

1 - Player choice
2,3 [Prophet]
4-7 [Legend]
8-14 [Ascended]
15-30 [Hero]
31-50 [Master]
51-75 [Elite]
12,000+ [Expert]
8,000-12,000 [Veteran]
6000-8000 [Professional]
4,500-6,000 [Adept]
3,000-4,500 [Experienced]
2,000-3,000 [Competent]
1,500-2,000 [Casual]
1,000-1,500 [Amateur]
500-1,000 [Beginner]
200-500 [Rookie]
1-200 [New]

Feel free to tinker around with this template. This is one that we drafted from about a year ago and nothing was ever really done about it.
Contact me - Steam
Humps

Post by Humps » Thu May 19, 2016 1:09 pm

We talked about it, and it seemed like a good idea. It is a very simple change; blame the laziness of those with db access :D .