Points Command

Got a suggestion?
Xbman

Points Command

Post by Xbman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:21 am

So I've noticed a lot of people on the easy server get confused when looking at the points system and need an explanation of what group points and completion points are. From what I know, this is not explained anywhere in the /new tutorial or anywhere else. A small explanation on how the points system works should be added either to the tutorial or on it's own command to show newer players how to rank up.
nevier

Re: Points Command

Post by nevier » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:29 am

approved. i didnt know what group points were until i hit expert rank tbh lol
milligraham

Post by milligraham » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:58 pm

nevier wrote:approved. i didnt know what group points were until i hit expert rank tbh lol
Same, it took me a while to fully understand them. It'd be cool if they were explained better and make it easier to keep track of your group 1's, too.
TheDeathly

Post by TheDeathly » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Instead of having the annoying chat announcements, i was thinking of having a !faq command that brings up the forums with a detailed post of all these kinds of things. Thoughts?
Insomnia

Post by Insomnia » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:47 pm

I'd be willing to write it if that were the case!
Contact me - Steam
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:16 pm

The chat announcements have two purposes: getting new players introduced to how this server works and informing anyone about an important information that you probably wouldn't consider even if you know by heart all the maps, all the people and all the timer commands (for example, announcements about a community movie being prepared, a link to the forums/steam group, a !hop messages saying what map is being played on an other server, etc).

Instead of making a command that removes it all, I would suggest making the !faq command exclusively for things of the first purpose I mentionned, then have messages about the news still being showed in the chat with the possibility to disable them with the !options menu settings (which you can learn about using the said !faq command).
TheDeathly

Post by TheDeathly » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:35 am

Shadow Sheep wrote:The chat announcements have two purposes: getting new players introduced to how this server works and informing anyone about an important information that you probably wouldn't consider even if you know by heart all the maps, all the people and all the timer commands (for example, announcements about a community movie being prepared, a link to the forums/steam group, a !hop messages saying what map is being played on an other server, etc).

Instead of making a command that removes it all, I would suggest making the !faq command exclusively for things of the first purpose I mentionned, then have messages about the news still being showed in the chat with the possibility to disable them with the !options menu settings (which you can learn about using the said !faq command).

The reason I want to do away with the announcements is because they are not very easy to change. Well they are -- but extremely annoying. What i want to propose is remove the majority of them and adding !faq as this can be easily adjusted globally. Here they can find information about anything and everything. Detailing commands and reasoning behind things. It would be less spammy, because as it is now if I'm not constantly watching chat I will miss messages because so many plugins want to send text to the chatbox. I've asked quite a bit of people and nobody looks at the announcements really, but being able to tell a new player "Hey type !faq and you can find all the information you need, it's just up to you to read it" i think is the better solution. It would also introduce users to the forums, as many don't even know we have a forum and I'm like 95% sure it says it in the announcements.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:52 am

TheDeathly wrote:The reason I want to do away with the announcements is because they are not very easy to change. Well they are -- but extremely annoying. What i want to propose is remove the majority of them and adding !faq as this can be easily adjusted globally. Here they can find information about anything and everything. Detailing commands and reasoning behind things. It would be less spammy, because as it is now if I'm not constantly watching chat I will miss messages because so many plugins want to send text to the chatbox.
Yes!

When I said there were 2 types of messages, I meant to say that guides and tips were like 80% of them, which could make the chat a lot lighter if moved to !faq.
TheDeathly wrote: I've asked quite a bit of people and nobody looks at the announcements really, but being able to tell a new player "Hey type !faq and you can find all the information you need, it's just up to you to read it" i think is the better solution.
No.

The best solution is to create a chat messages that tells you to type !faq. Or a menu panel showing when you first spawn on the server telling you about the command to get started. Or something else that automatically tells players that this command exists and what it does.

The goal of the !faq command or the any of the current chat messages is to have a garantee that even though the regular players don't tell everyone about all the commands, they at least have a chance to know about them. Having to make players tell people about the !faq command completly negates its utility. I personnaly don't see myself pressing a "Hey! Welcome to resurfed! Type !faq to learn about how this server works!" bind each time I see an (Unranked) person connecting to the game I play on (assuming they don't miss my message, they speak english, they can read, they can type the command, they have html enabled in the advanced options, they have the patience to read all the pages, they clearly understand all the informations presented on it, keep it in mind at all times and don't get kicked out of the server for staying afk for so long).
TheDeathly wrote:It would also introduce users to the forums, as many don't even know we have a forum and I'm like 95% sure it says it in the announcements.
Unless zay and like 10 other people actively make posts saying they are throwing games at people, I think it will still be ~30 active members on the forum out of thousands of players. If you want feedback from people or want to communicate something to them, you need to target the servers directly since its where the action takes place.
TheDeathly

Post by TheDeathly » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:51 pm

Shadow Sheep wrote: No.

The best solution is to create a chat messages that tells you to type !faq. Or a menu panel showing when you first spawn on the server telling you about the command to get started. Or something else that automatically tells players that this command exists and what it does.

The goal of the !faq command or the any of the current chat messages is to have a garantee that even though the regular players don't tell everyone about all the commands, they at least have a chance to know about them. Having to make players tell people about the !faq command completly negates its utility. I personnaly don't see myself pressing a "Hey! Welcome to resurfed! Type !faq to learn about how this server works!" bind each time I see an (Unranked) person connecting to the game I play on (assuming they don't miss my message, they speak english, they can read, they can type the command, they have html enabled in the advanced options, they have the patience to read all the pages, they clearly understand all the informations presented on it, keep it in mind at all times and don't get kicked out of the server for staying afk for so long).
My plan was to remove the majority of the announcements but keep a few, including !faq. I wouldn't expect anybody to sit there and tell every new player to type !faq. However I didn't think about the disabling HTML thing. I forgot that existed.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:55 pm

Alright, then I agree with your way of dong it and you have my full support with making this feature happen. Meanwhile, it wouldn't hurt to just put one line about the map request poll so people finally know about it.