[Tutorial] Compressing maps using "bsp_repack"

Got a question or a tutorial?
Nastybutler

Re: [Tutorial] Compressing maps using "bsp_repack"

Post by Nastybutler » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:44 pm

TheDeathly wrote:lmao yeah sheep is 100% right. The map has to get .bz2 zipped on fastDL regardless, but repacking it makes it smaller in the clients map folder since its a smaller .bsp. Would be cool if valve let us keep the maps .bz2 zipped in our map folder and playable.

Although the repack comes with some issues like sheep has noticed, the grass and photo_menu things. If it continues to break things like that, I may opt not using it anymore simply because it takes away from map i guess.

^Which is why I don't use it.
[Owner] -DB!- tordana: meet me in the playground after school
TheDeathly

Re: [Tutorial] Compressing maps using "bsp_repack"

Post by TheDeathly » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:54 pm

Nastybutler wrote:
TheDeathly wrote:lmao yeah sheep is 100% right. The map has to get .bz2 zipped on fastDL regardless, but repacking it makes it smaller in the clients map folder since its a smaller .bsp. Would be cool if valve let us keep the maps .bz2 zipped in our map folder and playable.

Although the repack comes with some issues like sheep has noticed, the grass and photo_menu things. If it continues to break things like that, I may opt not using it anymore simply because it takes away from map i guess.

^Which is why I don't use it.

Sure, but you were still missing the point of what sheep was trying to get across.
Nastybutler wrote:This was the old way of compressing maps before batch files were written for third party programs to compress (i.e. VIDE, 7zip, etc.)

I still prefer using 7zip to compress my maps, because it allows me to alter lossless compression ratios, saving a little bit of space here and there.
bsp_repack came out march last year, I don't know how it can be considered the "old way" when 7zip came out in the 1990s... and supported bzip compression in the early 2000's. I'm sure it also supported command line arguments to be used in a bash script.
Nastybutler wrote:You can use 7zip's algorithm to compress .bsp's into .bz2, using a simple code I wrote a long time ago:
I'm sure, link